Sunday, March 10, 2013

Crock pot Chicken and Dumplings

I love my crock pot. A lot. It is a wonderful thing.
With that being said, let me show you how I make chicken and dumplings in the crock pot

Here is the link where I got the idea, however I tweaked it a bit.

http://www.polishthestars.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-chicken-dumplings.html

Remember that chicken we cooked the other day?

http://grassngracefarm.blogspot.com/2013/03/whole-chickens-for-beginners.html

Chop it up and put it in the crock pot.


Add some of that stock you made too (enough to cover the chicken)



Next we are going to make our own cream of chicken soup


You will need: 1 cup chicken stock, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 cup butter


Melt the butter and whisk in flour.


Add stock and milk. Stir on medium heat for about 3 minutes. If it doesn't thicken up enough add some more flour. 




Add your homemade cream of chicken soup to your crock pot of chicken and broth.


Stir, cover, and let cook on high for few hours (or low for the day)

About 1.5 hours before dinner we need to add the dumpling dough


 Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening. Stir in milk.


Take bite size bits of dough and drop them into the crock pot


Once all the dough is in stir, cover, and cook on high for an hour
(you can also add whatever seasonings you like here)


After an hour it is dinner time!





 I hope you try this recipe and let me know what you think! It is a favorite here.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love chicken and dumplings and have been wanting to make it for the longest time. I'll have to give this one a try - I love that there's no canned cream of chicken soup in it!

    ReplyDelete